The course was intended to promote the activities to reinforce the meteorological services of RII and RV NMHSs based on the application of meteorological data/products such as numerical weather prediction, satellite images and climate information.
- Establish monthly training session for bench forecasters by using lecture materials from the training. Implement periodic forecast verification process to determine if the forecast is accurate, reliable and skillful.
- Utilize the use of grads software for NWP visualization in a daily operation process.
- Create meteorological parameter guidance for the production of district forecasts
(1) Gain an overview of and understand fundamental components of NMHS services (e.g., information communication, observation and forecasting) and roles in the context of disaster management in their own countries;
(2) Gain an overview of and learn to use key techniques for meteorological services, such as numerical weather prediction (NWP) and satellite meteorology; Gain an overview of and learn to use key techniques for meteorological services, such as numerical weather prediction (NWP) and satellite meteorology;
(3) Learn to produce several types of meteorological information to meet user requirements based on key techniques such as NWP, radar meteorology and satellite meteorology;
(4) learn to produce climate information using climate and global environmental data and products, and to brief users on such information;
(5) develop comprehensive and concrete Action Plans to address issues of facing by the Samoa Meteorology division.
The training provided advance knowledge and technique of how to analysis weather pattern in-order to produce reliable, skillful and accurate weather forecast which is my main responsibilities as a meteorologist.
Way forward for Samoa
- Encourage meteorology staff to conduct research and case studies because by doing so it will greatly assist the improvement of meteorological products from research discoveries and results.
- Strengthening collaboration between related agencies in-order for SMD to provide the right products required for each services.
- SMD to conduct an assessment performance of each products to ensure the accuracy and reliability to all end-users/stakeholders