The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MNRE) through its IMPRESS Project has officially launched its first Biogas System on Tuesday 30th March 2021. The project was constructed by the Bio Energy Solution Technology Limited (B.E.S.T) with the total cost of $98,000 Tala. This development was funded by Global Environment Facility (GEF) and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP); in co-finance with the Government of Samoa (GoS) through the Water & Sanitation Sector; as well as the assistance from the other Government Ministries within the Energy Sector.
The Biogas System constructed for Sa’asa’ai will use wastes from piggery, cattle farms, and food scraps to generate biogas for cooking and lighting purposes.
The project was developed as a pilot project to promote sustainable energy developments within communities and households.
It is anticipated that this developed project will bring sustainable benefits to communities through;
• Utilizing of wastes to generate biogas
• Improve onsite waste management
• Cost efficient i.e reducing expenses and dependency on Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG).
• Create employment opportunities for locals to collect waste to feed the digester
• Educational and Awareness of younger and future generations
• To assist our Samoa in reaching its National Goals in reduction of greenhouse gas emissions