Development Partners & Donors
Provision of technical, economic and financial data/information on ongoing and planned RE (power and on-power) projects that are being supported in Samoa. Specific data/information provision on biomass energy technology applications in other PICs/SIDS
- EU GIZ
- EU GIZo The European Union (EU) is assisting fifteen Pacific ACP Island countries (including Samoa) through a new regional Programme: Adapting to Climate Change and Sustainable Energy (ACSE) Programme funded under the 10th European Development Fund (EDF 10) Pacific regional envelope.
- The objectives of the ACSE Programme are to enhance sustainable livelihoods in Pacific Island Countries, strengthen countries’ capacities to adapt to the adverse effects of climate change and enhance their energy security at the national, provincial and local/community levels. The project will enable the Samoan Trust Estate Corporation (STEC) to convert waste biomass that has overgrown once productive coconut plantations into a renewable fuel that will replace imported diesel and reduce Samoa’s dependence from imported fuels. The project will also increase the share of renewable energy based electricity generation by using an energy source that is not intermittent an option that is of high interest for most Pacific ACP countries. In addition, the project will create an improved legislative environment in the energy sector in order to facilitate private sector investments and introduce performance standards.
- The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) is an intergovernmental organisation that supports countries in their transition to a sustainable energy future, and serves as the principal platform for international cooperation, a centre of excellence, and a repository of policy, technology, resource and financial knowledge on renewable energy. IRENA promotes the widespread adoption and sustainable use of all forms of renewable energy, including bioenergy, geothermal, hydropower, ocean, solar and wind energy in the pursuit of sustainable development, energy access, energy security and low-carbon economic growth and prosperity. Read More: http://www.irena.org/aboutirena
- Provision of technical, economic and financial data/information on ongoing and planned RE (power and non-power) projects that are being supported in Samoa. Specific data/information provision on biomass energy technology applications in other PICs/SIDS
- As a GEF implementing Agency, responsible for the provision of technical, operational and management support throughout the project implementation phase. Assistance provided also includes other development assistance provided by UNDP directly to the Government of Samoa and in collaboration with developing partners in the region.
- Responsible for communication and coordination with office of the GEF OFP and UNDP on project management, implementation and monitoring; liaison with relevant national government agencies, authorities in local communities; in charge of project management and implementation; Renewable Energy Division (RED) – Provision of data/information on relevant RE resource research and feasibility studies, national energy plans, national energy balance, policies, regulations and energy targets, including ongoing and planned energy projects; Planning and Urban Management Agency (PUMA) – Provision guidance and information on the energy project compliance with environmental regulations; Forestry Division – Provision of support in assessment of biomass potential in Samoa.
- Provision of data/information concerning relevant financial/fiscal policies and plans in the area of energy; Energy Policy Coordination and Management Division (EPCMD) – Provision of information on the formulation and implementation of the Energy Sector Plan, including relevant policies and programs, including that relevant to the Petroleum Act; Economic Policy and Planning Division (EPPD) – Provision of assistance to all sectors for integration of the Energy Sector Plan and ensuring alignment with the Strategy for the Development of Samoa (SDS); Aid Coordination and Debt Management Division – Coordination with all other aids to ensure integrated approach toward meeting the objectives of the IMPRESS project and the national development.
- Provision of advice to ensure consistency of the IMPRESS project with the National Infrastructure Strategic Plan (NISP) 2011 – 2021, specifically in reducing Samoa's reliance on fossil fuels.
- Provision of information and advice on the productive and social applications that can be supported by RE (e.g. biogas for heating, lighting and electricity generation); Provision of advice on the design of RE market sustainability interventions; Provision of assistance in the promotion of the proposed project activities that will focus on communities; Provision of advice in the formulation of RE policies that are supportive of sustainable economic development initiatives for communities.
- Provision of support and technical advice for local entrepreneurs in the design and establishment of businesses making use of RE; Provision of advice on development of financing models and schemes to finance electricity saving initiatives, productive and social uses of RE; Provision of support and assistance in implementation of awareness on sustainable RET investments
- Provision of pertinent data/information about its electric system expansion program and power plants necessary for the detailed design of the reliability enhancement project; Coordination with MNRE and STEC on the design, planning, engineering, and commercial operation of the various RE-based power generation projects that will be subsumed into the project, including those on improved electricity system performance and reliability; Provision of coordination
- Provision of pertinent data/information on biomass resources and management for the final design of the biomass-gasification demonstration project; Ensuring sufficient feedstock of biomass for sustainable operation of the biomass-gasification demonstration project; Coordination with MNRE and EPC on the design, planning, engineering, financing, and commercial operation of the biomass-gasification demonstration project.
- Provision of data/information and technical advice on biomass properties for the detailed design of biomass gasification demonstration projects, and productive and social uses of RE.
Collaboration in RE knowledge management and capacity building activities through development and possible integration of project experience in RE/EE-related curricular, and training programs.
- National University of Samoa (NUS)
- University of the South Pacific (USP)
Provision of financial services and awareness activities that would enable investments in RE for power and non-power applications and for productive and social uses in Samoa.
- Development Bank of Samoa (DBS)
- Samoa Commercial Bank (SCB)
- Bank of the South Pacific (BSP)
- Provision of guarantee schemes and training that would enable investments in RE for power and non-power applications and for productive and social uses in Samoa.
Communities & Local Groups
- Provision of support in identification, development and implementation of biomass energy technology demonstrations for non-power applications in selected communities. Collaboration for capacity building and awareness activities in promoting sustainable RET applications in support of national economic development
- Villages & Households
- Provision of information on the availability and supply of biomass resources; on the productive and social uses that can be supported by RE; advise on the design of RE market sustainability interventions.