Datum Used for Map Production in Samoa
Currently we are using 3 Datum for Mapping and these Datum are as follow;
1. Lemuta Datum:
- It was establish in the 100 years ago.
- All cadastral and property surveys are carried out based on this local Datum.
- Coordinates with negative numbers can be found with this Datum. Why because of its origin in the center of the country.
- We this Datum to Convert Coordinate Points.
2. Western Samoa Integrated Grid (WSIG 72)
- Established and officially uses for surveying purposes in 1989.
- Uses as the Geodetic Control Survey Network of Samoa.
- Uses for production and publications of any new topographical maps
3. Western Samoa Integrated Grid (WSIG 84)
Software that Mapping are using;
- MapInfo Professional – Mostly use for GIS and Map Production
- Global Mapper
- QGIS – Quantum Geographic Information System.
Status of Digital Geographical Data
- Available Dataset includes;
- Aerial Photography of these years (1954,1970,1990,1999,2006-2012)
- Orthophoto Datasets – Available for MapInfo only.
- Topographic Maps and Layers such as, contours, roads, coastline, etc ( Available in MapInfo only)
- Coastal Hazard Zone Datasets. Available in MapInfo only
- Digital Elevation Model
- Satellite Image i.e IKONOS, QUICKBIRD (Lidar Image 2015 – 2016)
- Political Map
- Hema Map (Tourist Map)
POLITICAL MAP ROAD MAP TOPOGRAPHIC MAP